Thursday 20 February 2014

A Switching Layout in HO - Part II

Between tonight and Tuesday I was able to make some real progress with the layout.  I have all of the Code 100 rail laid on one half and only have the points and one frog left on the two switches.  Overall, I am very pleased with how this is progressing.

My attempt at "continuous welded rail" in HO.  Actually, I really don't like the look of rail joiners and since there is only a small amount of track here I can focus on the details.  I plan to add styrene fishplates at a later date.



The "joint" for the two halves is clearly visible here.  The blue ties will be replaced by copper ones for added strenght.


Just by luck, there isn't a turnout in sight at 3.5' thankfully.


Some more creative rail joints - all credit goes to Mears for the suggestion.  I had to join code 100 and code 40 rail so I cut a code 40 rail joiner into four pieces and soldered the code 40 rail on top of the cut joiner to raise the rail head to the code 100 height.  



No comments:

Post a Comment